Karlskirche


During Vienna's plague epidemic in 1713, Emperor Karl VI vowed that as soon as the city was delivered from its plight he would build a church dedicated to St Charles Borromeo (1538 - 84), a former Archbishop of Milan and a patron saint of the plague. The following year he announced a competition to design the church, which was won by the architect Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach. The result was a richly eclectic Baroque masterpiece: the gigantic dome and portico are borrowed from the architecture of ancient Greece and Rome, while there are Oriental echoes in the gatehouses and minaret-like columns. Building took almost 25 years, and the interior was richly embellished with carvings and altarpieces by the foremost artists of the day, including Daniel Garn and Martino Altomonte.
excerpt from
Dorling Kindersley Travel Guide Vienna

22 May 2000

Karlskirche view from
Karlsplatz

Vienna Karlskirche across Karlsplatz





Vienna Karlskirche Front



Vienna Karlskirche Front Closeup



Vienna Karlskirche Dome


We love hearing from everyone, so please email us at LivingInLondon@SpeicherIndustries.com

Namo WebEditor Link