Bath's superb abbey, in restrained Perpendicular style, stands on ground rich with religious history. Initially, in 676, a monastery was built here using stone from crumbled Roman buildings. Its little Saxon abbey was later to host the momentous crowning of Edgar, King of Wessex as the first king of all England. In 1090 the abbey was replaced by a massive Norman cathedral priory that dominated the city, but depletion and demoralisation of the monastic community led to the neglect of the priory and by 1499 it stood in ruins. A dream inspired Bishop Oliver King to rebuild, but in 1539 the role of the monastery was brought to an end by Henry VIII's dissolution, and construction of the abbey was curtailed before the nave had been given a roof. It was not until 1617 that work was at last completed on what is now the parish church of Bath, an abbey only by name.
excerpt from
Pitkin City Guides - Bath

4 - 5 November 2000

Approaching the Abbey
from Abbey Church Yeard

Abbey West Front Entrance Abbey Church Yard

West front entrance

Abbey West Front Entrance

Abbey Above West Entrance

Abbey South Side
South view
from York Street

Abbey South Side View From York Street

We love hearing from everyone, so please email us at

Namo WebEditor Link