St Katharine's Dock


This most central of all London's docks was designed by Thomas Telford and opened in 1828 on the site of St Katharine's hospital. Commodities as diverse as tea, marble and live turtles (turtle soup was a Victorian delicacy) were unloaded here. During the 19th and early 20th centuries the docks flourished, but by the mid-20th century cargo ships were delivering vast, bulky cargos in massive containers. The old docks became too small and new ones had to be built downstream.
excerpt from
Eyewitness Travel Guides - London Millennium Edition

23 June 2001


St Katharines Dock



St Katharines Dock



St Katharines Dock



St Katharines Dock



St Katharines Dock

Dickins Inn

Dickens Inn

We love hearing from everyone, so please email us at LivingInLondon@SpeicherIndustries.com

Namo WebEditor Link