Torre del Mangia


The Mangia Tower, which derives its name from Giovanni di Balduccio or Duccio, who was nicknamed Mangiaguadagni (literally earnings-gobbler) or Mangia (goobler), who used to be the bellman before a mechanism was installed to replace him, lends the whole complex of the Palazzo Pubblico its extraordinarily delicate, vertically-oriented elegance. It was started in 1325 and finished in 1348. It was intended as a symbol of the power of the palace inmates and of the town itself. The tower is 87 metres high (102 , if one includes the lighting conductor). The brothers Francesco and Muccio (or Minuccio) di Rinaldo from Arezzo were given the technical responsibility of the construction (1338 - 40) and they therefore shouldered the risks and expense of the building operations. The tower is entirely in brick, up to the soaring white travertine pronged supports of the bell-chamber balustrade, which give the whole tower the appearance of a tall, slender lily.
excerpt from
All Siena - The Contrade and the Palio

3 - 4 February 2001

Palazzo Pubblico
from across Piazza del Campo

Siena Torre del Mangia



Mangia Tower

Siena Torre del Mangia Closeup


View of Torre
from interior courtyard

Siena Torre del Mangia Courtyard





Siena Torre del Mangia Nightime





Siena Torre del Mangia Nightime


Stairs
leading to the top

Siena Torre del Mangia Stairs



Siena Torre del Mangia Top



Siena Torre del Mangia Top


Fantastic views of Siena

Siena Torre del Mangia View




Siena Torre del Mangia View



Siena Torre del Mangia View



Siena Torre del Mangia View





Siena Torre del Mangia View


Duomo in the
distance

Siena Torre del Mangia View Duomo


We love hearing from everyone, so please email us at LivingInLondon@SpeicherIndustries.com

Namo WebEditor Link